The Pancake War: Strictly Pancakes

I love pancakes. Naturally, I was very excited when I learnt of Strictly Pancakes (SP), Singapore’s first dedicated pancake café! Located at 44A Prinsep Street, SP is open from morning till night so customers can have their pancake fix anytime during the day.

In addition to the traditional butter-and-maple-syrup combination, SP also offers six sweet and six savory options, ranging from Chicken A La King (chicken chunks, sweet onion slices, cream sauce and asparagus) to Strawberries & Co (mixed berries, vanilla ice cream, strawberry coulis and cream).

I had set my eyes on the Black Forest Pancakes while browsing through their online menu, which was coincidentally recommended by the staff.

Black Forest ($12+): Chocolate pancakes topped with brandied cherries, a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, chocolate shavings, homemade chocolate sauce and cream

These were supposed to come with three chocolate pancakes but I accidentally served plain ones instead. However, I didn’t get receive any reimbursement for the error (chocolate pancakes cost $1 more than plain ones on the a la carte menu) but I was not charged for the rum and raisin butter (U.P. $0.50) which I had requested to try.

The pancakes were decently soft, and were in fact very much like a slightly thicker version of Mac’s hotcakes. While I enjoyed the combination of cold vanilla ice cream with warm pancakes, I might think twice about ordering the dessert pancakes here again as I found the Black Forest pancakes too sweet for my liking. Those with a sweet tooth will probably enjoy this though.
Iced Blended Mocha ($5+)

The Iced Blended Mocha was decent- light, frothy and not too sweet. However, it was a tad icy.
Cedele’s superbly soft pancakes still remain as my favorite pancakes attempted thus far. However, having heard positive reviews about SP’s savory choices and milkshakes, I will not rule out the possibility of a re-visit if I happen to be around the area. Oh, and students (like me) get 10% off the bill!
 
Strictly Pancakes
44A Prinsep Street
Opening Hours:
Mon: 1800 - 2300
Tues-Thu:1130-2200
Fri: 1130 - 0000
Sat: 1000 - 0000
Sun: 1000 - 2200