Bliss, Balzac, Kiat Lim Vegetarian,Skyfall @ Platinum Suites



Happy Monday, everyone!

As usual, the weekend went by in a flash.  But what cured my Monday blue today is that my food recommendation got featured in My Paper!  When Sock Leng first took a screen shot of the column, 这餐我请 and suggested that I participate, I decided to do so for fun.  Who knew that I would actually win!!  Thanks to my Chinese editor, Liteng for correcting my Chinese words so that I wouldn’t make a laughing stock of myself as I am really bad with Chinese characters. Besides my Chinese editor, I have an English editor for my blog!  Pearly vets my every single post before it gets published. So if you are praising how good the sentence structuring was, it is all Pearly’s hard work.

I haven’t been this excited for a long time!  And I do hope all of you will have a good week ahead!  


Now let me share what I did over the weekend.

On Friday, I joined my girls for a reminiscing night out. First, Angie and I went to the same hair salon which we have been patronizing for the past 10 years. It is called MJ and is located along Hougang Ave 8.  It is not a glam salon, but it’s where we feel comfortable and at home.


This is Angie, many people have said that we look alike.

Is tough to look pretty when you are in a midst of hair treatment.

After getting our hair nicely colored and steamed, we went to join the others at Bliss, a café where we used to hang out very often.   They previously operated out of Punggol Park but recently moved to Cheng San C.C.   We ordered our usual favorites but I noticed that the food quality has dropped.  The luncheon fries which used to be served crispy weren’t the same anymore.  And in the past we would find a generous portion of chicken chunks served with the chicken cream sauce pasta.  Sadly this was no longer so.

From the left: Angie, Susan, Sophia & Sharlia


Bliss Restaurant @ Cheng San CC


Tel: 62803389




BALZAC

On Sat Mr Guan and I had a date at Balzac.  The restaurant was named after Honore de Balzac, the famous French novelist and playwright.  It is located on the ground floor of Rendezvous Gallery and serves rustic French Bistro classics.


Beaujolais Nouveau Charcuterie + Platter – Balzac is promoting this new young wine from France.  A bottle costs $40.  If you top up $8, you get a platter to go along with the wine.  What a steal for only $8! As Singaporeans we naturally succumbed to the top up.

Oyster Plateau $32

Dubois Lobster Bisque $16 – a little too sweet to my liking.

Entrecote $34 – Beef steak accompanied by french fries which were a little just too much.  What I concluded at the end of the meal was that the French really know how to do their potatoes. The mashed potato and the fries were the best part of the mains.

Saint Jacques Roties $24 – This was basically 4 scallops on a bed of mashed potato.  This dish was really disappointing.  For $24 I was expecting three BIG scallops but it turned out to be 4 measly ones.  The scallops were so bland that I had to request for black pepper to add flavor to them.  The only plus point of this dish was that the mashed potato was really soft and flavorful.

Bill in a book

Total damage for 2 is $181.25
Verdict 2.5/5
Balzac Brasserie
9 Bras Basah Road
#01-01 Rendezvous Gallery
Tel: 63360797




Happy 85th Birthday Grandpa @ Kiat Lim Vegetarian

My grandpa is a healthy 85 year old man who goes cycling at East Coast Park every single day, rain or shine.  Many times when we were out together, he would end up walking faster than any one of us! I pray that in the coming years, Ah Gong will stay healthy and happy everyday.


More photos of the food and family.

Grandpa and the longevity buns

I think I have a little fan

Mr Guan connecting with GOD

Michelle Issabelle & Ashley Issabelle

The 4th generation.
Lucas at the back and Elliot in blue.



Verdict 4/5
Kiat Lim Vegetarian
4 Jalan Ayer
Tel: 8333 1955



Skyfall @ Platinum Suites

It has been a long time since Mr Guan and I caught a movie together.  The good thing about being married is that you can comfortably do your own things knowing without a doubt that your partner will always be there for you when you need them.  People always tell me that Mr Guan and I seldom spend time together.  Yes, this is true to a certain extent.  But to me, I would choose Quality over Quantity.  It is not about how much time you spend together but how much fun you have together when you do.

Ticket price $38 each.

Jumbo hotdog in mushroom swiss and mozzarella cheese.
Chicken wing and wedges

All ready for movie to start.

Best movie experience


Thanks for reading!

By Ashley Issabelle Cheang