Big Weekend @ Trevaskis Farm


I had listed down food as one of my interests before we were matched up with our buddies from the British school I visited. Imagine my delight when K shared with me that there'll be a farmers' market in a nearby town during the weekend!



Here I sampled Yarg Cornish Cheese, a semi-hard cheese with a texture varying from creamy under the rind to mildly crumbly in the core. It is wrapped in nettle leaves after pressing and brining, which attracts molds that help the cheese ripen. The Yarg cheese had a slightly mushroom-like and slightly taste which I didn't quite fancy. I preferred the Wild Garlic Yang a variation of the cheese covered in wild garlic leaves which had a delicate garlic (what else?) taste.


Treleavens Luxury Cornish ice cream which I've blogged about before!


Rhubarb Crumble and Clotted cream & Strawberry



Saffron buns, saffron cake and shortbread from Simply Cornish. The size of their samples is pretty generous, don't you think? I didn't quite take to the taste of their saffron cake though. The shortbread was not too bad but strangely, all three flavors had different textures, some more crumbly than the others.



Berrymans' Cornish Saffron Cake was more appealing in my opinion. Their strawberry shortcake was pretty good! Pity that it didn't come in sealed plastic packages for me to take back to Singapore :(


I wrapped the saffron cake in bubble wrap before stuffing it into my luggage. Thankfully, it didn't get squished!


No, this isn't raisin bread. It's saffron cake (a larger version of the saffron bun), a light and fluffy bread studded with currants and flavored with saffron and some other spices like cinammon and nutmeg. Just like a fragrant version of raisin bread!

Due to the high cost of saffron, the most expensive spice in the world, coloring like tumeric is often used to enhance the color of commercially-produced saffron cakes. Best consumed lightly toasted to bring out the aroma of the spices (:


Finally, some artisan jam from Cornish Meadow Preserves produced in batches of 24 jars at a time! I sampled some Strawberry Chilli jam- an intriguing combination of sweet fruit enhanced by a potent kick of spice from chillies, meant to be taken with cheese. I just can't imagine eating a spicy spread along with toast for breakfast! The Cherry & Cornish Apple jam I purchased goes well with brown toast, though it's on the sweeter side.