Cornish Pasty #3: You can't get this in the shops

With the exception of another post about some souvenirs, this will be my last post about my eats in Cornwall. I had told K's grandparents about the pasty I had made during cookery class during my visit to their place. During our discussion, I learnt that Cornish pasties used to always be made in home kitchens, and even though you can get fabulous versions in the stores, it is said that nothing lives up to home made ones.

Her gran nicely offered to make pasties for us, and on Monday, K's dad picked them up from their home for our tea (that's what the English call dinner). The four pasties sat neatly in a box, covered by a cloth, each individually wrapped with two paper bags. No doubt, they were made with much love.


I had this pasty for my last tea (dinner) in Cornwall. Biting through the slightly crumbly and thin layer of pastry revealed a filling of well-cooked cubes of onions, potatoes and swede, small bits of steak here and there, all sitting in a clear broth. This was definitely the most juicy pasty that I've had, in the ideal portion size too.

Yes, I concur... home made pasties are the best. On another note, it's been about two months since my trip to the UK. I miss the laid-back culture in Cornwall lots.