Smiths Authentic British Fish And Chips

I've found a great place to relieve culinary memories from my trip to England. Judging by both the number of British customers in the eatery as well as my own dining experience, the food at Smiths Authentic British Fish And Chips certainly lives up to its name.
Haddock and chips

In addition to cod and haddock, fixtures on the menu of every fish and chip shop in England, chicken, dory, salmon fishcakes and sausages are also available at this dine-in/takeaway establishment. Like a true blue British fish and chip joint, Smiths' menu also includes side orders, spanning from pickled eggs and gherkins to baked beans and gravy.

EDT (29 Nov 2010): Plaice, scampi and halibut are now available on the menu!
The first thing that striked me when I opened up the triple-wrapped package of fish and chips was the sheer size of the haddock fillet. While a tad pricey at $16, the portion of haddock and chips was sufficient for two small eaters! Deep-fried a la minute, the golden batter encasing the fish was delightfully light and crispy. The firm and tasty haddock also pleased with its flaky and moist interior.
Haddock and chips

Though lacking the crisp exterior characteristic of well-fried fries, Smiths' rendition cannot be described as soggy. Seasoned just right with a sprinkling of salt and malt vinegar, these plump and pillowy slab-cut chips definitely won my nod of approval. I'm sure the British patrons of this joint would like them just as much.
 
Mushy peas

Intrigued by its unusual name, I also ordered a serving of mushy peas ($2 for an eight-ounce cup), a popular accompaniment to fish and chips in northern England. Although I am not a fan of the vegetable, this simple and healthy dish comprising marrowfat peas boiled into a thick and stodgy soup was strangely satisfying.

Given the artery-clogging effects of deep-fried food, I don't quite agree with Smtihs' tagline that "everyone deserves a daily portion". But one thing's for sure- Smiths is the place I'll be heading to whenever a craving for fish and chips hits.

P.S. I heard that the standard and portion size has dropped since my visit to Smith's in November 2010, but have not verified this personally.

Smiths Authentic British Fish And Chips
230 Tanjong Katong Rd
Opening hours: 12pm-11pm (Tues-Sun)