Candlenut Kitchen (CLOSED)

Candlenut, also known as Kukui Nuts, is a popular ingredient used in the preparation of Peranakan dishes including a thickener and flavoring in curries. You probably have seen its trees in your neighbourhood all your life but were never aware of the usefulness of its seeds in our kitchens. (And yes, I'm guilty too :P)



Left: A candlenut tree; Right: Deshelled candlenuts (Photo source: Internet)

Candlenut Kitchen

Candlenut Kitchen which is conveniently located just off the junction where four major roads meet, is a relatively new Peranakan eatery slowly building up its reputation for its delectable nonya favourites, with some family recipes passed down through generations.

Complimentary prawn cracker

Complimentary crackers for diners.

Chap Chye - $10

Not to be mistaken as the economic rice normally found in local food courts and hawker centres, Chap Chye ($10) combined cabbage, pork belly, beancurd skin, black fungus and glass noodles simmered in pork & prawn stock, offering diners a familiar taste of homecooking.

Sambal petai prawns - $13.8

Our Sambal Petai Prawns ($13.8) was awesome. Totally loved the winning combination of petai beans and sambal. Now I regret having forgotten to ask for less prawn more petai.

Beef Rendang - $18

When my companion first urged me to give their Beef Rendang ($18) a try, I was skeptical about it for I had not got over a bad memory about a mutton rendang dish I had (somewhere) some years back.

I was glad that we ordered this dish after I had my first bite. I liked the beef cubes which was braised until jelly-like tender. The rich coconut gravy was mildly spicy and flavourful, went well with our steamed rice.

La Chendol - $7

As it was getting late, we decided on one dessert to call the night.

Our La Chendol ($7) turned out to be a scoop of homemade chendol ice cream topped with chendol jelly, red beans and gula melaka. The icy scoop was creamy, the flavour was intense without being overbearing.

It was a pity that we had to give other desserts like D24 Durian Soup a miss. Nonetheless, Candlenut probably serves the most promising desserts among all Peranakan places I have been to.

DSC_9780

I was back last week for their weekday $10+ set lunch, which came with three mini dishes, was really decent and worth every cent.

DSC_9770

Overall, it is a casual-chic venue serves a straightforward menu that offers classic modern Peranakan favourites. I'd love to make a come back for their ayam buah keluak many rave about.


Candlenut Kitchen
Lunch, 1130am - 230pm
Dinner, 6pm - 10pm
Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays
6226 2506