らーめん山頭火

It was a gloomy evening after a brief downpour which rendered Orchard Road cold and heavily congested. As I walked down the street feeling emo and hungry, I was wishing for something warm and hearty to perk me up and a bowl of ramen seemed to fit the bill.

鮭イクラごはん定食 - $19.5

It was an impromptu visit so I went by my gut feeling and picked one value-for-money dinner set which came with a bowl of Shio Ramen and Sake Ikura Rice. Did I mention that I was hungry?

The soup base of the Shio ramen served here was actually pork bone broth seasoned with salt. It was creamy, the flavours intense, and it was one of those rare tastes good enough to make the room go silent.

Apart from the comforting soup base and springy noodles, what I liked about it most was the good mix of toppings including my favourite menma, and that unusual blob of pickled plum.

旭川らーめん - $13.5

Her bowl of Asahikawa Ramen ramen soup was tonkotsu broth in shoyu (soya sauce).

Worth-noting was the runny egg which was done pretty well.

焼き餃子 - $5.5

The Yaki Gyoza here however were just ordinary, nothing to shout out about.

On a separate note, a check on Wikipedia found that Santouka was named after the famous Haiku poet Taneda Santouka (俳人 種田山頭火). Would the knowing of this little fact help to enhance the taste of your next bowl of ramen here? Well, I'm not sure about you, but it might work for me.


らーめん山頭火
21 Cuppage Road
Cuppage Terrace
Daily
6235 1059