まる玉らーめん

Do you still remember when was the first time you had your favourite food that you fell for it?

The story all started when I was a loyal fan of Ma Maison two years ago. Every time I was on level 3 of Central Mall, there was constantly this long queue outside Marutama till a point that I became suspicious that the guys were actually paid to queue.

Of course such suspection was later proven groundless when I had my first bite of ramen there. My love for this Japanese delicacy grew fonder as I discovered more about it from other ramen chains soon sprang up across the island. The taste of Marutama was somewhat forgotten. So when I walked past its latest outfit on B1 of United Square, passion was rekindled, and I knew it was time for a re-visit.

That evening, I found myself at its Central flagship outlet.




Things here haven't changed much - its menu, the prices, settings, as well as the eager/hungry patrons that faithfully form the queue shortly after the clock hits 6.

まるたまらーめん - $12

What sets marutama apart from the pack is that chicken broth is used here. Besides being less heavy on the tastebud, the taste of our soup was beautifully enhanced by a 'green' flavour, thanks to the hearty topping of spring onion and seaweed.

まるたまらーめん

The noodle threads are thin and springy.

出汁巻玉子 - $8

Dashimaki Tamago is one of the must-tries.

水餃子 - $5

With more 10 ramen tags on the right of this blog, Marutama still does the best gyoza. Personally I prefer steamed version over the common pan-fried ones, as the skin is thinner and softer, and fillings more succulent.

人生は。。。

To better our dining experiences with a touch of nostalgia/timelessness, the restaurant plays a selection of classic Japanese songs mostly from the last century. One of which include the record smashing hit 君がいるだけで released in 1990 by a pop band called 米米CLUB.


まる玉らーめん
6 Eu Tong Sen Street
#03-90/91 The Central
11.30am – 10pm
6534 8090