Hong Kong: Tai Cheong Bakery

Trying Tai Cheong's egg tarts has been on my bucket list for a long time. Just imagine my excitement as I sprinted along Lyndhurst Terrace towards the legendary institution!
egg tart @ tai cheong
Egg tarts are always best eaten fresh out the oven, hence I slurped up the satin smooth and quivery custard while standing along the sidewalk. Unglamorous, I know, but it was certainly a wonderful gastronomic experience. The buttery, crumbly shortcrust was also exceptionally fragrant, probably due to the almond flour incorporated into the mix. I wouldn't travel all the way to Hong Kong just for this egg tart, but a visit to Tai Cheong is surely a must if you're visiting the country!
sha weng @ tai cheong
While the Chinese donut (沙翁) was nicely crunchy on the outside with an airy interior, I didn't take to its eggy taste.
almond cookies & butterfly cookies @ tai cheong
Tai Cheong also stocks an assortment of packaged snacks. While the sugar-coated flaky butterfly cookies (top) are worth a try, I thought that the almond cookies and coconut egg crepes tasted rather ordinary.

It was a real pity that my family was too tired to trek from our hotel (at the far-flung Disneyland Resort on Lantau Island) to Central for Honolulu's egg tarts on the last day. Has anyone tried them? How do they fare against Tai Cheong's?

Tai Cheong Bakery
35 Lyndhurst Terrace
Tel: +854 2544 3475
Opening hours: 7:30am–9pm (Mon-Sat), 8:30am–9pm (Sun and PH)