Favorites @ Mr Bean

I always have trouble deciding what I want to get at the soya bean chain, Mr Bean. Outlets have been popping up everywhere recently, especially at MRT stations (they're two outlets at Raffles Xchange oO), and I'm ever often tempted to go inside and grab a snack.

As I have mentioned many times before, I love pancakes. And it's great that they come in so many forms, from hotcakes, min jiang kueh to okonomiyaki.

Mr Bean sells yet another pancake I love:

A tip: Prey hard that you get these Japanese pancakes fresh off the stove, and make sure you gobble them up right away. It's worth the time to patronize stalls with long queues (eg. SMU) and hence a high turnover to ensure that you get warm ones!

Red Bean Pancake ($1)

Out of their seven (now eight) pancake flavors, the red bean one's my favorite. This springy pancake, encasing a not-overly-sweet azuki bean filling, is easily one of my favorite snacks. The cheese and blueberry ones are good too- the former has a triangle of soft Cowhead cream cheese inside while the latter is filled with blueberry jam (yay!).

Don't bother trying the peanut and chocolate ones though. The peanut one is stuffed with dry chopped peanuts while the "chocolate" filling is made from *gasp* melted chocolate rice. Wouldn't it be nice if they sold a pancake filled with Jollibean's addictively creamy peanut spread? Haha that'll surely reduce Jollibean's (round) ban jian kueh sales.

Egg mayo pancake

Till the end of this month, Mr Bean will be retailing an egg mayo pancake too. I didn't think too much of it at first but decided to give it a try yesterday anyway. And it was surprisingly good! The egg to mayo ratio was just right and a generous dash of pepper provided a nice kick to round it off. How I wish this could stay on Mr Bean's menu permanently! Note that the egg mayo flavor is only available up to 11am and is unavailable at their Century Square, Tampines 1 and People's Park outlets (why?!?). (Update: The egg mayo pancake is now a permanent flavor! Hooray~)

Soya chocolate

The egg mayo pancake can be purchased with a cup of soya chocolate or coffee as a discounted set at $2.80 (U.P. $3.30). I didn't expect much from the soya chocolate as I doubt that good-quality chocolate was used. But this turned not out be a chocolate drink with the milk portion replaced by soya milk, but a steaming hot cup of soya milk with chocolate undertones (i.e. chocolate-flavored soya milk). Just the perfect thing to start the day! I liked this even more than my usual drink (next up).

Pearly Bandung Soya Milk ($2)

Isoflavone-packed soya milk livened up by the addition of rose syrup, coupled with bouncy, chewy pearls. My usual drink at Mr Bean (:

This year, Mr Bean has been launching seasonal drinks monthly. The previous few, like the Icy Chocolate, Icy Mango and Strawberry Banana were fine. In my opinion, one should stay away from the Icy Rum and Raisin though (no alcohol for obvious reasons, contains Da Vinci Gourmet syrup instead which is used for coffee drinks). It's expensive at $3.80 a cup, and tastes just average. I hate the shriveled-up raisins inside too.

And not to forget...

Soya ice-cream (: I'm always hoping for a super tall cone of it! ($1.30 for cone, $1.50 for cup but you get more ice-cream)

Haven't tried it before? You might not take to the distinctive, uh, soya milk taste of this ice-cream at first. But give it another chance, and you'll find yourself getting accustomed to the flavor. By your third try, you should have become a convert :D (Not to worry, I still like normal ice-cream made from cow's milk though!)

Despite being low-fat, Mr Beans's soy ice-cream is still creamy like normal soft-serve. For those who count calories, a 100g serving contains 136 calories. There's also green tea flavored soy ice-cream available at certain outlets like Tampines 1. The matcha flavor is rather mild but I still like it anyway, more than the original flavor.

Actually, I like it a lot.

Mr Bean's adorable mascot!


Mr Bean
Outlets