All That Fudge: The Cornish Candy Shoppe

During the weekend, we dropped by St Ives, a highly popular beach town in Cornwall. We took the train here because parking is apparently extremely difficult because of the crowd. And it's not difficult to see why, considering how pretty the coastline was, and the

While it can't compare to the congested streets of cities, St Ives was definitely the most crowded place I had been to in Cornwall.

Naturally, fudge shops were aplenty here.

There was no way I could walk past this shop without giving their colorful shopfront a second look.


Stepping inside, my eyes were lured to the boxes of assorted fudges.

I'm always game for variety. I could just imagine my family and I sitting at a table, portioning out the small blocks of fudge and sampling the different flavors!


In comparison with the fudge which I had previously tried, the Cornish Candy Shoppe's fudge was the freshest and the smoothest. It was also not excessively sweet. Though fudge is meant to be very rich and creamy, the fruit-flavored versions from the Cornish Candy Shoppe's version was less so. Not that I minded its lighter consistency!

First row, from left: Chocolate Orange, ?, Cherry, Lemon Meringue
Second row: Blueberry Cheesecake, Chocolate Peppermint, Strawberry & Cream, Coconut Ice

Although flavoring was, unsurprisingly, used in every flavor save for the Blueberry Cheesecake, all the flavors were likeable! Buttermilk Confections' clotted cream fudge edges out the non-fruit-flavored fudge selections in the box with its more luxuriously rich consistency though.

My favorite flavor was the Chocolate Peppermint, whose cool minty taste made a good complement to the creaminess of the fudge. The Lemon Meringue flavor was pretty refreshing as well.

Coconut Ice isn't fudge but I certainly didn't mind having it in the box as well. It's essentially a brittle block of sweetened and slightly chewy dessicated coconut, I liked this just as much as the Chocolate Peppermint fudge. If only I could find coconut ice in Singapore! I realized that it probably won't keep well in our climate though- the last of it, devored a month after returning to Singapore, was found to be less than fresh but still enjoyable nonetheless.