NYC: Doughnut Plant

Peanut butter and banana. Tres leches. Carrot cake. The Doughnut Plant offers a splendidly innovative assortment of donuts which I can only dream of finding in Singapore.
PA094052e
YOLO. I wanted to make the most out of my trip to NYC, so I had... three donuts. 
PA094064e
Dessert for breakfast, anyone? Torched with crackly caramelized sugar, the crème brûlée doughnut was piped full of voluptuous vanilla bean custard. It's a good thing that this dangerous treat comes in baby-sized portions.
PA094056e
The coconut cream variant squarely hit the sweet spot. Glazed with coconut shavings, the fluffy yeast-risen donut conjures of dreams of tropical islands with its silky coconut custard core. I hear that they actually shell fresh coconuts to make these!
PA094066e
While the texture of the yeast-risen donuts were perfectly light with right amount of chew, the dense cake donuts weren't much moister than from those from most donut chains. Paling in comparision was the pistachio cake donut, which came sans filling and simply studded with nuts. 
PA094050e
I would have carted a dozen (or two) back to Montreal if not for my already-obese luggage. The carrot cake donut and nut milks call for a return visit!

Doughnut Plant on Urbanspoon